Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The Good Old College Try

So, I sometimes have dreams where I get a puppy and then I forget I have him. Then all of a sudden I get this deep panic (in the dream) and I'm like "Oh my god! I forgot to feed the puppy! That was like 3 weeks ago!" Obviously that dream needs no interpretation.

That may just be a perfect metaphor for my blog. And maybe my running too?

I mean, I still run. But BOY have I cut back. I mean, like 2x a week during marathon season and, well, that's pretty much it because I only do one marathon a year now. And then I get so sad, like "why are my times so slow?" And then I rationalize that it is because I am a mother 2x and it's some physiological change that my body went through. Which, I mean, it probably partly is. And probably also because I am almost not a "thirty-something year old" as my blog profile states. But let's face it...running 2x a week is not running 4x a week like I used to do. :)

But I'm sick of that.

And while it is super fun to run with the slower paced runners because they are just honestly some of the best people to talk to and definitely the best people to get through a marathon with, I would like to be a bit faster. Who knows if it's possible? Maybe it is all just physiological.

So I am going to start up my blog again in hopes that it will make me more accountable when it comes to training. But I'm not guaranteeing anything. Because as a mother of two boys, I have learned that 1. Sometimes moms need to cut themselves some serious slack...especially when it comes to working out. 2. Sometimes there are things to do that are more fun (like Cub Scout hikes or zoo classes) that make you so tired that sleep is a better option than getting up at the crack of dawn to hammer out some miles.

So I am going to try. Sort of.

But no promises that I won't forget to feed the puppy.

No comments: