Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Love/Hate Relationship with Yoga

I can never seem to stay motivated enough to stick with a yoga program and I'm not sure why.

Obviously, it is one of the best things that a runner can do for herself...especially a runner like me who can't even touch her toes (and this has nothing to do with pregnancy...I have always been this way). I am always amazed at how at the beginning of my yoga workout I can't even sit comfortably in the crossed leg position, but by the end this is more than comfortable for me.

This is why I haven't taken any yoga classes. In Cincinnati it was different. There were people of all different skill levels in these classes, and while it was embarassing to be the least flexible person in the class, I could totally deal with it. Here, people are SERIOUS about yoga. I guess they would have to be, because the classes are so expensive. There is also a very unhealthy standard of being ridiculously thin here, and the yoga classes are even worse (so I've heard from all of my friends and co-workers who have taken these classes.)

I KNOW this will help me with my running. I WANT to be a crazy yoga-girl who wears cute outfits and can put my leg up against the side of my head (or really, even just touch my toes) and eats insanely healthy and feels connected with the earth and her body (btw, I loved that article in Runner's World last month about the Zen running camp in Shambhala. I want to go there.)

So I try. And I quit.

I've tried several Yoga videos including Crunch Candlelight Yoga which weirds me out because the girl reminds me so much of Sarah Silverman and she says weird things in a calming voice like "close your eyes...there's nothing to see on your tv screen." I've also tried the MTV Yoga video with Kristin McGee...but she is VERY annoying and doesn't come off and being very athletic OR bright. So maybe that is part of the problem.

My mom gave me this new DVD called Prenatal Yoga with Desi Bartlett. I like it so much that I've already done the workout twice this week.

I've been trying to stay away from prenatal workout videos because I feel like they may be too easy for me (since I have been in good shape for awhile and I feel like most of those are geared towards women who don't work out at all). But this one is great (probably because I am totally a beginner in Yoga and can't do half of the moves). It is 45 minutes long, which is just long enough for me to not get bored, but long enough that I feel like I'm getting a workout.

It also REALLY stretches me out in a way that feels really good. I'm sure that this has something to do with the fact that it's geared towards a very specific segment, but I'll take it! It was a perfect thing to do the day after my half marathon when I was still a little achy in my muscles.

And every night that I do the video? I sleep through the ENTIRE night...like a ROCK!

So I'm crossing my fingers that I can keep up this yoga thing for longer than a month (which is usually my breaking point).

3 comments:

Bobbie Jones said...

I'm glad the yoga workout tape turned out to be one you like!

Unknown said...

I can relate!
I love the idea of yoga, I love reading 'Yoga Journal' magazine, I think it is a beautiful practice, yet I can't stick to a routine! I even found a studio I love and never seem to go! I never miss a run but I will always miss a yoga practice. What is up with that?
Glad I am not alone :-)

Julie said...

I too hate yoga. I have the Shiva Rea Prenatal Yoga dvd and just sort of gag through it. BUT on the prenatal workout front- two I know of are hard enough for fit people... Prenatal Fitness Fix with Erin O'Brien and the Perfect Pregnancy Workout with Karyne Steben. They're more strength than cardio, but since you're running, who needs the cardio beyond a warmup?