Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Working Out

All right. It needs to stop being so damn hot here. Really. I am following my rule of "no running unless it is less than 85 degrees out" which is meaning "no running". It's not even less than that in the morning. I guess it wouldn't make a difference since I feel like I need my sleep more than I need my running.

So what HAVE I been doing? Lots and lots of DVD workouts.

But here are some things that I am calling "accomplishments":

• I am still working out in my 7th month of pregnancy!
• Working out actually makes me feel GOOD
• I am gaining weight and inches perfectly, (according to my doctor) which I attribute to the working out
• I don't look pregnant from the back
• I actually have to make modifications to my third trimester workout video to make it harder (I don't use a chair to balance for the squats, lunges, stretches, etc)
• I can stand on one leg to do my quad stretches for 45 seconds without losing balance!
• My belly is still rock solid! (although like a big, round, rock)

I also have really been digging these things called labor lunges. They are SO COMFY and relaxing. They are meant to be done in the delivery room to relax you, and when I heard this in the second trimester I was like "What?! I don't think so!" But now I am truly considering them for that. (I couldn't find a link to describe what I am talking about...basically it is a wide second position pliƩ where you rock side to side, bending deeply in your knees.)

Some lady at the running store also told me to stock up on GU for the delivery room. Why? You need the calories and can't eat solid food! She said her sister swore by this when she was in labor for 17 hours.

Also, it seems like Kara and Paula are making people realize that you can run while pregnant...well, maybe only in the running community, but it's a start. NYRR even has a pregnancy article now! So take THAT all of you chastisers! (Actually, I haven't met too many, but the ones that I do tick me off!)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Way to go on the workouts! Which DVD's do you use? I can't imagine Gu in labor, but if you like the stuff... I'm aiming for honey sticks and odwalla smoothies

Unknown said...

My favorite is the Summer Sander's Pregnancy workout video from Gaiam. She's a teensy bit annoying, but it uses workout bands so you can make it as hard as you want.