Monday, December 6, 2010

Running Misc (Or Not Running Misc)

I never realized how hard it would actually be to get out and run when  you have a newborn. In my mind I was just putting him in the BOB every morning and going out for a nice little jog...you know, since I would have "so much time" since I was on maternity leave.

Hahahaha. I have been choosing sleep over running because I get sleep when I can (since it sometimes only comes in 2 hour increments).

Even on the weekend it is ridiculous. I planned to do a nice 6-mile loop with my friend Gina this weekend. I was so excited because I haven't seen her in forever and I haven't run without the stroller since Liam. Well, all this would involve Liam having a milk supply and since I knocked over the bottle and lost an entire ounce of milk, and I pretty much hate pumping so I don't have a big store of it, the run didn't happen. Of course I didn't know this until right before the run and had to text Gina. Luckily she is a great, super-understanding friend. But I was still very very bummed about the whole thing.

I have actually found that it is MUCH easier to do workout videos. This is not as fun but it means that I am getting a lot of toning in. Which is great because...

...this weekend I found out that I fit in my old clothes! I am not back to my old weight, but I AM back to my old measurements!!! (except for a little more that I need to lose in my belly). Whoo-hoo!!! This made me very VERY happy.

I had planned on doing the Manhattan Half Marathon, because I am really really trying to do all five in the Grand Prix series of half marathons this year. Manhattan is first and is at the end of January. I am not very sure I can do this seeing my current mileage. I would have to have a pretty aggressive schedule from here on out and I just don't know if I am going to be able to count on doing that. It makes me appreciate mom-runners like my friend Lauren, all the more. They are hard core.

I also entered the lottery for the NYC Half Marathon (different from the Manhattan half marathon, but run in the same borough). And get this! We were supposed to know if we got in by the end of November. I just checked the website today and it says the drawing will be on December 15th. Boo! I want to know now!

This week I am going to really try and get some good mileage in...even though it is colder than cold out.

2 comments:

Julie said...

i totally hear what you're saying! my big problem now is how to bundle the baby warm enough in the BOB. it's making me cut runs short since i'm afraid he's not warm enough.

Unknown said...

My mom actually got me the greatest thing...it's called a "bundle me" and is this super-warm shearling sleeping bag type thing you put over the car seat. (It's by j.j. cole). Between that, a long-sleeved bodysuit and pants, a fleece footy thing with mittens and a hood, his hat and the fact that I pull up both the car-seat canopy and the BOB canopy, he's warm and toasty and wind-free. :)