Friday, January 28, 2011

Motivation Plan

Ok. I'm still working on the plan to motivate myself. I want to make it difficult so that it's worthwhile and I am training to the best of my ability, but I think I also need to cut myself some slack because "the best of my ability" today is way different than it was last year...especially because squeezing in workouts has become a major luxury. So I am going to focus on the things I have a difficult time doing (working out, eating healthily) and give myself points when I do them. I was going to take away points when I do something bad (like drink soda, which I have been doing more and more often) but I think I need positive reinforcement, not punishment. I was also thinking about giving myself points for things like getting sleep and taking care of myself (like taking time for myself everyday) because I have been really bad at doing those things, but let's face it – most of that is out of my control now AND getting a workout in is probably going to by my "taking time for myself".

That being said, here is my rough plan of "points" for now.

1 point items

• doing a run
• doing a cross-training workout
• eating a healthy lunch
• eating a healthy dinner
• completing a week's worth (defined as 5 days between Sunday and Saturday) of workouts
• weighing in at under 140lbs (weigh-ins will be on Friday mornings)
• maintaining a 29 inch or lower waist (measured each month)

2 point items (these are bigger challenges for me)

• completing a hill or speed workout
• eating healthy snacks during the day
• completing a long run
• PRing on a race

Bonus points (can only be earned once and are one point each)

• completing my first post pregnancy marathon
• completing a run over 2 miles with the BOB without any walking
• completing a race without walking
• completing a race over 4 miles without walking
• completing a race over 5 miles without walking
• completing a run over 6 miles without walking

And here comes the best part: what these points are good for!

Mostly these are just things I want that I will not buy for myself. My first level is a Speck laptop shell which is worth 60 points. Next is a pair of nice running sunglasses – 120 points. For 180 points I can take a quilting class at the City Quilter that I have been trying to find an excuse to take for 3 years. And the créme de la créme? An ipad. This is for when I BQ. Yes, I know this may take me years. And I reserve the right to change it to another expensive gadget when ipads become obsolete.

This whole thing might flex too. I will have to see if it works for me/if I feel rewarded enough or if it is too easy.

Starts this Sunday!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Good for you! Good luck with your points system. It sounds like a great plan. I had a really hard time when my son was really little re-setting my expectations on what was do-able. Before he was born I ran or worked out 6 days a week, so for a long time if I only got 3 runs in a week I beat myself up about it. In reality, though, I should have been congratulating myself because it's so much harder to make time for yourself with a baby around. I think it's great that you're rewarding yourself for every accomplishment no matter how small each one seems because they definitely add up!