Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Brooklyn!

Me, Gina and Pam post-race (look at my shirt! isn't it cute? it says "running chick")
Okay, so it never ceases to amaze me what my body can do. I say this because my running has not been happening, yet I am able to run half marathons and not destroy my body. And when I say I have not been running I don't mean "I've only done a couple of miles here and there, but not the mileage I'm used to." I mean I haven't been running at all. Three weeks prior to the Flying Pig? No running. And then the next three weeks before the Brooklyn Half Marathon? Also no running.

Now, I would not recommend this, being that it is stupid, but it is pretty amazing that my body can handle this.

I also say this because I only got 2.5 hours of sleep the night before the half. Mostly this was because we had to get up so darn early (start was at 7am...in Brooklyn). But also because I just could not get to sleep the night before.

To top things off, we (me, Gina, Pam) decided to take a cab to the park because it would be so much easier. We must have had the most idiotic cab driver ever. I have no idea why he went the way he did, but we basically ended up making a circle around Manhattan. The whole ride was $50!!! That is more than it takes to get to JFK! Ridiculous. So when we went to drop off our bags some guy was yelling at us that baggage was going to close...so we had to run. And then some other guy yelled at us because we were late and our truck was full (the start was at Prospect Park, but the finish was at Coney Island, so the bags were loaded on trucks according to your number) so we had to go to "late baggage". And then the portolet line was like a million people long. Oh yeah, and it was the hottest day (by like 20 degrees) that I've run in yet.

If this was two years ago this would all have destroyed my psyche completely and I would have probably passed out at the second mile. But I was just in it for the fun this time.

Us three girls just ran easy the whole time. It was actually a great time to catch up. Prospect Park is known for these awful awful hills, and we had to run the loop twice, but it wasn't that bad because we were all just chatting away. In fact, it may have been the most enjoyable half marathon I have ever run.

The coolest part about the race is that it ends on the boardwalk in Coney Island. So it was fun to end on a beach even if we weren't going swimming. :)

And after all of this, plus stopping at just about every water stop AND stopping for a restroom break, we still ended up with a 2:17! Pretty good! I could definitely go for some more half marathons like that.

1 comment:

Jill Garry said...

We don't know each other but I've been reading your blog since you started it. I'm from Cincinnati also and this year I finally got into the NYC marathon! I've never been to NYC, and was hoping you could give me some pointers about the route and some suggestions for places to stay. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, Jill