Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Toe Shoes!

So I FINALLY got to run in my Vibrams for the first time. I was a tad nervous because the woman at the store said to start off SLOWLY and that I would definitely be sore in my shins afterwards.

I had my first TNT practice, which was a short little fun run. I thought this was the perfect place to try them out. Our run was only going to be 3.4 miles (two lower loops) and we were supposed to take it easy so that we could talk to people and meet everyone on the team. Turns out the shoes were a great conversation starter. I had a million people ask me about them. I thought everyone was trying them out (it sure seems like it when you go for a run in the park). In fact, I felt kind of lame jumping on the bandwagon so late. But it turns out that most people are too freaked out to try them.

Me? I LOVE THEM!!! I actually love the feel of my feet on the pavement. And that's another thing...there is definitely more sole to these than you would think. I am running in the Bikila which has a 3mm sole. So while you get a good feel for the ground it's not like you are running barefoot with lots of calluses (which is what I thought it would feel like).

And it totally does change the way that you run. My turnover was definitely different. I'm not sure EXACTLY how to describe this...I think I will have to run in them a few more times...but I know it is different.

And yes, as a result I did have sore legs – but not my shins, just my calves, and that went away after a day.

But the best (lamest) part about the whole thing? I felt like some kind of modern warrior princess running in them. Especially since I bought into the whole feather hair extension thing on top of the crazy pink toe shoes :)

No comments: