Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Something New

I'm always looking for something new to keep running from getting boring. I mean, the next logical step for me would be ultramarathons, right? Well, I'm still not that crazy (or that motivated I guess). I do have friends who have gone that route, but it just really doesn't seem that interesting to me. Plus I cannot even imagine the time commitment needed for that kind of training.

I am also looking forward to running with my old training group at Bob Roncker's. They are such a great group of people and I have a soft spot in my heart for them, since that is how I started the whole marathoning thing.

Unfortunately, since I didn't do a fall marathon this year, I have to wait until January to start spring training. And I am itching to start running with a group NOW.

So, I decided to see if Fleet Feet had anything for this in-between season, and what do you know? They have something called Trail Warriors

I have always wanted to try trail running, especially since (according to some quiz I took...I think from Runner's World?) I am apparently built like a trail runner...whatever that means. I don't really know much about trail running, except that a lot of people say it is harder, and that I may need different shoes.

As part of Trail Warriors, you run 6 trail races throughout the tri-state area. Each race has either a 5 or 6 mile option and a 10 or 12 mile option. I'm already mentally signing up for the two loop options, but I guess I should really figure out how much more difficult trail running is before I mentally commit.

Also, my book club is reading Born to Run. I know that every runner known to man has read this book, but for some reason I couldn't get past the first few chapters. So I'm excited that it's a book club pick because it will force me to finish it and see if it makes me crazy obsessed about barefoot running like everyone else (even though that craze seems to be over)...my Vibrams look a little gross on the inside anyway...they are all brown stained on the inside. Gross. Who knows what that is?

At any rate, I am excited for the group to start, I am excited to be reading Born to Run, and I'm probably not going back to "barefoot" running anytime soon. :)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trail running is awesome! It's actually how I got into running. I had to watch your step constantly and wear sturdier shoes but it's less impact (softer surface) and you use your muscles different (constant weight/balance adjustment even when it seems minute). And the best part is being engulfed in nature. I never ran a trail race, though, no idea what that is like! Good luck! I look forward to reading more.
-Martha

Shawny said...

I also have Born to Run and need to read it. I told myself I'd read it last year before my marathon (I didn't) and again this year (still didn't). Maybe over the winter....