Monday, September 28, 2009

Fastest Mile Ever

OK. I mean, it's not like I've ever raced a mile before this weekend, so there was no way this couldn't have been my fastest mile ever, BUT I have done miles for time at practice, and I did beat those times. :)

Saturday was the 5th Avenue Mile, which was a straight mile down 5th Avenue (duh). They ran us in heats according to our age (I was in the Women's 30-39 group) with 15 minutes between each race.

Now, I am NOT a sprinter. And I had no desire to run a fast mile in a race except for to see how fast I could go. But I signed up for the race because for some reason, it counts as a NYC marathon qualifier, and I still needed 2 races for this. (If you are a NYRR member who runs 9 qualifying races and volunteers once, you automatically qualify for the next years NYC marathon.) I was desperately trying to get my 9+1 requirement in before marathon season was over, so this was an easy way to do it.

I didn't even know how to approach this thing. I mean, I didn't want to sprint it because it was still a mile...but then I didn't want to hold back too much either, because I would be mad at myself.

This was the first race I've had in a long time where I felt totally keyed up (and was aware of it). In fact, it reminded me a little of my cross-country meets in high school where our coach told us to sprint from the starting line.

I decided to go ahead and sprint it.

Yeah. I am NOT used to running FAST.

My legs sort of buckled underneath me a little bit because the feel of running that fast was so foreign to me. I was flying though. Tears were in my eyes, my nose was a little runny, and I felt like I looked like those astronauts when they do those tests and the skin sort of flies back from their face. I also pretty much felt like I had to puke the whole time.

When I ran past the 1/4 mile marker I saw 1:something on the clock. Whoa. Fast.

Apparently too fast. Now I was like a car slowly running out of gas.

The women I was running with started to get further away from me, and the women behind me started to catch up.

Ugh. I just wanted it to be over. I was counting the blocks as I ran by them (each block is .05 miles).

Dying. Dying. I saw the clock overhead. 6:48. Whoo-hoo! (When I checked the official results though, I saw I actually did a 6:54).

I was coughing and sputtering and breathing heavy all the way to the subway station. I felt AWFUL. It all came back to me...why I hated cross-country so much in high school (yeah, I have no idea why I kept joining the team every year when I hated it so much). I am so NOT a short distance runner.

That being said, I was pretty darn happy to see a "6" at the beginning of my time :)

2 comments:

Bobbie Jones said...

Whoo-hoo! Way to go girl! I wish I could have been there to see that!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Does it make you wonder how the elites keep 5-something paces for entire marathons!!