Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Running Ups and Downs

A bad run can totally ruin your entire day. Really.

Saturday I had my "long" run of 3 miles...no different than the past few weeks...same course even. The hills got to me again though and I was all panty (hahaha, that looks weird typed out...I meant that I was panting). It was not fun, and I actually had to WALK for a few seconds at around mile 2. Yuck. Needless to say, this put me in a sour mood. I started in a downward spiral mentally too, telling myself 'You haven't even started training Harlem Hill yet, these are the easy hills.' and 'You know, you do have a 3 mile race in a couple of weeks, you shouldn't be walking then.' And then I started blaming things I can't control. 'Stupid snow. If it hadn't snowed last week you would have gotten out more and this run wouldn't be so hard.' and 'Stupid dental surgery. Screwed up my whole winter training plan by making me all tired and not able to train 3 days.' And then I started questioning myself 'Sure, I didn't get out to run very much this week because of the snow, but I did pilates and weight training every night!' But it all comes down to this: you can't have great running days all the time. I know this. Sometimes I think I need to remind myself of this.

Monday, however, running was once again redeemed as I had a fairly successful and quick 2 mile run in Riverside. I actually felt light on my feet and everything. Sometimes all you need is a good run to erase those bad ones!

No comments: