Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No More Muffin Top!

Why is it that every time I run a marathon I feel like I can slack off for about a month afterwards and load up on all of the bad food I've been avoiding without working out and without consequences? That is like, the OPPOSITE of what I should be doing.

I do this every year though. And then I get this gross muffin-top that makes me crazy.

Usually though, it is much longer than a month before I do something about it. This time I pretty much decided to stop after this Sunday, when I loaded up on fried food and alcohol. I felt bloated and gross for days afterwards. Yuck. I've already gone back up to my largest size. (I vacillate between 3 sizes during the year.) In a MONTH.

So Sunday night I decided: no more muffin top!

Here was the plan:

• Get back into running. It does not have to be every day, but at least 3 times a week.
• Add in some combo cardio-weight training and plyometrics
• Add in at LEAST a day of yoga for stretching
• Keep a food journal
• PLAN meals out of the Prevention cookbook which has healthy AND tasty options

So far, I have found out that yesterday (when I thought I was good and skipped the 3:00 treats at work) I overconsumed by 500 calories. BUT on the plus side, I had the perfect balance of fats/carbs/proteins, which is a HUGE step in the right direction for me.

I have also found out that I am not a fan of fat-free balsamic vinagrette (low fat is okay though).

I NEED gum to keep me from stress-eating.

Also, I am VERY SORE from doing a double workout yesterday. Yes, I actually got up in the morning to do the Jillian 30-Day Shred (the plan is to do all 30 days over a short period of time, like possibly 2 months, if I am not so SORE like I am now). Then at night I ran with Bill.

I didn't think I worked out that hard, and I was only using 5 pound weights during the workout, BUT I was concentrating on good form and THINKING about which muscles I was using. It must have made a difference. Either that or I am in totally awful shape.

Tonight is Yoga. And for the first time in my life, I am looking forward to it.



P.S. Believe it or not, I can touch my toes now. That's from NOT running. (Running = fit me, but Not Running = more flexible me)

No comments: