Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Barefoot!

So I've been looking for something to get me so totally pumped about running that I just can't wait to go out for quite awhile now. I started by reading Once a Runner (you know, that book that is supposed to be the be all and end all of running?). I must say, I pretty much hated that book. It was terrible! Terribly written and I hated the characters and I only sort of cared if he could make his goal in the mile. Then I realized that this wasn't the book that was recommended to me by all my running friends...Born to Run was! So I went ahead and ordered it, and since I know that after reading it I am going to want to become one of those "barefoot" runners I just went ahead and got the shoes.

After some extensive reading on the subject, I got the model meant specifically for running – the Bikila. And while I was at it, I opted for the magenta ones.

They are kind of a pain to put on, but once they are on they are very comfy. I've only walked around them in the house and they don't feel as barefooty as I thought they would, but I'm sure I will feel differently after I've run in them.

You're supposed to start off super slow with them...like logging only 1-2 miles slow and wearing them only every other day. The girl at Super Runners told me that my calves will definitely hurt. I'm hoping that means I will get some crazy(er) calf muscles. I'm wondering if they will truly make me run differently. And THEN I wonder if I should be running in some less cushiony shoes then I'm used to in my races so that I don't lose my form too much after I've changed it. But I guess I am getting ahead of myself.

I was all pumped and ready to go on a run with them and then I got this disgusting cold that is making me super run down. I'm hoping I can go out tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

No comments: