Sunday, November 25, 2007

Turkey Day Run

OK, I must admit that when I was sitting in the car ready to go to the Thanksgiving Day 10k I was feeling a little nervous. Not nervous like I used to be nervous before a race (getting to the start an hour early, stretching for like an hour etc). Well, maybe I was nervous in the same way, but I just dealt with it in a different way.

The truth is, I was feeling VERY undertrained. Because really, since the marathon, I've probably only been running twice a week, on a GOOD week. It is just too easy to blow it off. Plus, I've also been slacking by running on flat courses, even though I knew this thing was fraught with hills. So I was a little nervous. But also, I knew there was nothing I could do about it at this point. Either I was going to be sore and do poorly, or not.

I also had an audience of my husband Bill (of course), my parents AND my sister and her boyfriend from England.

My friend Jen, met me at the start line too, but I knew we wouldn't be running together for long (even though we both have this habit of taking off too fast. Her fast is faster than my fast).

And actually, when I crossed the start line, I didn't take my usual strategy of weaving in and out of everyone, running up on sidewalks, cutting people off, etc. I figured the slow start was actually a good way to make sure that I did not take it out too fast. I decided to just smile and have fun.

And I did.

I realized how much I just really really ENJOY racing. It is so fun. I said something to my mom about that afterwards and she said something like "no kidding. You are always smiling and waving..." and then something about just thinking about it makes her tired.

And it DID seem like a much shorter race than the two past ones that I have done. I guess that's because after 6.2 miles I was actually DONE. (Which doesn't make sense, because 5Ks are tremendously long for me).

Anyway, I also had a PR. A 56:29! Hurrah, that is a 9:06 pace.
Oh, AND I also had a "last mile PR". This is a big thing for me, because I ALWAYS take things out way too fast and die at the end.

My last mile? An 8:30!!!

As I said to my family afterwards "that's crazy, because I just don't run that fast!"

:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, this is Sarah from the Fall marathon group. I was just thinking about you and remembered your blog and I found you! It's so good to hear that you did well in the Thanksgiving Run. I did too (56:55..never thought I could run that fast!)Hope you are doing well, I'll miss you during Pig 08 training.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sarah! I miss running with you guys! Still looking for a great running group in NYC. Good luck with Pig training, I know it starts soon :)