Monday, November 10, 2008

Back into the Swing of Things

Ah, the two-week self-mandated waiting period to start working out again ended this weekend. Which means that I actually ran again this weekend! Granted, it was only 3.4 miles, but hey! It's all about starting easy again, right?

In fact, I may have to keep reminding myself that.

See, I now have a couple of goals looking forward. The first is to lose that awful 18 pounds that I put back on during the marathon season. (Really...gaining weight during marathon season always ticks me off.) Right now, most of it is a carb belly. Yes, my waist has expanded and now (unfortunatly) the two pant sizes that I dropped last spring I got right back into. :(

My next goal is to be a healthier, more well-rounded runner. This includes eating healthier (of course)...getting enough protein for muscle building, eating LEAN fats like olive oil, etc instead of the fats I tend towards, and quitting my once a week McDonald's habit :( Bill and I already started this this weekend. We planned a bunch of healthy meals for the week and went out and got groceries last night. Luckily, we are not sacrificing taste because we got a bunch of really great cookbooks that have delicious, easy, healthy food (this is how I lost all of my weight last winter). I also decided to stop snacking at work. This is really hard because we get free snacks at work and they are SO BAD. Like cheese doodles. When was the last time I wanted a cheese doodle? Well it doesn't matter, because when they're sitting out I eat them anyway. So to combat this, I brought a bag of healthy treats to work today and stashed them in my drawer. In fact, they are pretty much all of the samples of things I got from the marathon expo.

The second goal also includes stretching and a weight program. I KNOW the benefits of weight training, yet I don't participate. Since I want to go even FASTER in my next marathon I am definitely going to have to be vigilant about this. Stretching includes doing yoga twice a week so that I don't become injured.

Oh yeah, and Bill is in on all of this too, because he decided to train for the Pig Marathon with me...that's right, the whole 26.2 miles.

So I made a little weekly schedule and put it up on the fridge. It lists our workouts for every day and also what we are eating (since they coincide...like when I do a weights day we have a high protein meal).

So far, I am not doing so well (and I just started Saturday). Yesterday's workout called for weights and yoga, but when I got home from shopping I was all grouchy and didn't feel like it. I whined and complained to Bill and then didn't do it. Hmmm. Not off to a good start. But then again, I might have been a little overly ambitious with my workout plan for this week too (seeing that it IS my first week back).

I just have to remember: BALANCE.

3 comments:

Casey said...

Good luck with your goals! It's hard to change habits, but you've done it before--you weren't always a runner!

Judi said...

hey, maybe i'll see you this year at the pig!

you should try bikram yoga. i bet nyc has some fantastic classes. the hot yoga feels oh so good to stretch.

Unknown said...

Maybe I'll be running right next to you again :)