Thursday, January 22, 2009

Manhattan Half

Nothing much to report on the running side. Basically I had to skip running on Tuesday because I got to work late (grrrrr) and I did my cross training workout last night. I hope that all of this cross training will pay off. I am really trying to do all of the exercises with perfect form and push myself on flexibility, which can be pretty excruciating at times.

Tonight I have a 4 mile run with Bill.

But what I am really looking forward to is my first NYRR race of the year, which is this Sunday. Of course, I am not going to RACE it, per se, but I am going to treat it as my long training run for the week. And it's going to be a toughie. The half marathon course is two full loops of Central Park (hills! hills!) and one lower loop of Central Park. Not only is it going to be hard, but it is going to be BORING. I am going to have to really make sure that I run it nice and easy, and not get caught up in all of the other runners who are racing it. Perhaps I will start in a slower corral than the one I am scheduled for (which has my pace as an 8:35).

I am especially looking forward to seeing what the t-shirt looks like. :) Last year the Grand Prix shirts were the coolest shirts by far, of all the races that I ran. They were very bold and graphic. Each one had an outline of the borough it was run in and big blocky white type. The ones I saw from the year before were cool too.

Anyway, Bill's not running with me on this one, but he IS running the one on the 8th with me, which is in the Bronx. I think it's weird that the first two boroughs are so early in the year and almost right on top of each other. The next one is Brooklyn, which isn't until the last week of May, and then I think the Queens one and Staten Island are in August and September. Oh well, whatever. It worked out well for me and my training, and I'll have 2 of my 9 races finished by the first week of February.

No comments: