Thursday, March 5, 2009

Killer Workout

In addition to "running" last night (it was on the treadmill, so in my mind, that only half counts), I did a little cross-training.

Now, I know that I have been singing the praises of Jillian's 30-Day Shred DVD, but really, I had only made it through the first level of the workouts. The workout is so very difficult that even though I've had it for about 2 months I never felt like I could move onto the next level. Quite frankly, I was scared of what the next level would bring.

Well.

The second level is EXTREMELY hard. I was sweating out of every single one of my pores, and copiously. I couldn't even do half of the stuff properly (squat thrusts, walk-out push-ups, plank crunches) and had to do the easy modification. It totally kicked my butt.

The reason I mention this in my RUNNING blog is because I think that this is a really really great workout for runners. She does all of the things runners are supposed to do (but probably don't do enough of), like plyometrics, calisthenics, and weight training using small and large muscle groups simultaneously. She really concentrates on this last group in level 2. I think that every weight lifting circuit she has you do, you are holding a position (like a deep squat) while lifting weights with your arms (like a military press). It really burns, but I think it will help me gain speed and stability.

Even though the workout killed me, it makes me want more. I am just that demented when it comes to things like this. :)

Next time I am going to try and do the full exercises instead of just the modified ones.

No comments: