Friday, May 22, 2009

Garmin Gripe

OK. I want to open this up by saying that I am NOT a technology idiot. Really.

But I had a MILLION issues last night trying to install my Garmin software and getting the thing to connect to Bill's computer.

I know, I know, I've had this Garmin since Christmas and have basically be using it the same way as my Nike watch, which is a total waste of a Garmin. It is because I am lazy and the software for the Garmin doesn't work on a Mac, which is my choice of computer. So I had to use Bill's computer to do all this, which seemed like a hassle. (Plus, I LOATHE PCs...I didn't used to, but since I have been working on Macs for 12 years it frustrates me how counter-intuitive PCs are.)

I enlisted Bill's help (he is my local computer expert) and he wasn't having any luck either, which made me feel like less of an idiot.

It didn't help when my Garmin screen froze up right in the middle of connecting to the software.

"Press enter or cancel"?

What buttons are those? It doesn't tell you in the manual. "Try turning off your Garmin." How do you do that? Once again, it doesn't tell you in the manual. (I did finally find the "enter" button, which is incidently the start/stop button. How did I know? It was printed in tiny, white letters on the behind the button.)

Frustrating.

We did finally get everything up and running. After two hours.

And I will admit...it WAS cool to see all the stats and hills and graphs and courses from my runs. (Bill was looking at them and was like "How in the WORLD do you keep your heartrate at 140 through an entire run?")

So now, I will be using my Garmin like a Garmin is supposed to be used. But it was a lot of hassle to get there. And I'm still mad about the not having software for a Mac thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Garmin added Mac support to the 405 a few months back ;)

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2009/02/garmin-connect-news-forerunner-405-and-50-are-now-mac-compatible.html