Thursday, May 21, 2009

New Shoes!

So, last week after talking to a couple mentors at practice I decided to order my shoes online instead of at a store. I was debating about switching up because I've worn the same kind of shoes for three years. I was all ready to hop on a treadmill and have someone else analyze my gait and everything, not because there was anything wrong, but because I figured that my running has changed a bit (I mean, come on, my first marathon was a 5:12 and my Marine Corps was a 4:22 and I'm running even faster now...).

But the general consensus was that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. AND I had heard from someone that the store I was going to go to (which I won't mention) is actually quite terrible at shoe fittings. I trust this person, so her advice weighed in heavily on the decision. I was also told that I could save a ton of money online.

So, I went to search for my beloved Adidas Supernova 7 Cushions. Oh yeah, in a 9.5.

Did I mention that this was nearly impossible? I did find a few pair, but most of them were on eBay, which I really thought about, but then was like NO, I cannot count on eBay when it comes to something as important as shoes. I also found a pair for $100. Uh, the retail price of these shoes is $85.

After some more research I found out they were discontinued. Oh. The new model is now called a Supernova Glide. (I found this confusing because they have always been called Supernova Cushion with a new number behind it AND there is a Supernova Sequence, which is like the opposite of what I need. I just assumed the Supernova Glide was another one I didn't need...like for over-pronators or something.)

Anyway!

A quick search for the Glide left me with lots of options. With some Better Business Bureau research and the help of Froogle, I was able to secure a pair for $73 with free shipping from Sayville Running. (Retail for these shoes is $100.)

I ordered them on Monday and already got them YESTERDAY!!! Pretty awesome. Sayville Running gets props from me for that. (Although it might just be because they are so close. Apparently they are in Long Island.)

Now, I haven't run in them yet, which we all know is most important. But I do have to give kudos to the new designers. They finally realized that I don't want atrocious running shoes. I will finally have a pair of shoes that LOOK like I'm a hard core runner and not an aerobics instructor (there is nothing wrong with that, in fact, I love aerobics, but I would not want to be running in aerobic shoes.)

Anyway I put together this "informational graphic" to illustrate my point. :)

Of course, all of this means nothing if the update doesn't work for me biomechanically.

So I'll be testing them out tonight.

1 comment:

Trista said...

Online shopping is really the best way to buy shoes. Well, 6pm.com is my favorite online store.