Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sweeper!

Last night we had our first Tuesday group session, and I got to play sweeper.

What does this mean?

Basically I had to make sure everyone in the group was accounted for and didn't get lost. I'm actually really glad we have sweepers because I know last year I was one of the ones lagging behind in the advanced group and I was always worried that everyone would leave and my bag wouldn't be watched, or I would be running alone in the dark in Central Park. So I am happy to have sweeper duty if it means that everyone is looked after.

Last night was kind of tricky though, because we were grouped by event instead of level. This meant that I was sweeping for beginners, intermediates and advanced runners. We were also doing all different workouts (that all started on the same course, it's just that the beginners dropped out earliest, the intermediates did an extra loop and the advanced did an extra two loops).

I basically ran at the back of the pack, until one girl just couldn't run anymore. She was really discouraged and frustrated. I talked to her as we ran and just tried to reassure her that it takes a lot of time to learn how to run a marathon, and that we have a whole 6 months to train. So then I walked with her until her turn around, walked halfway back to the beginning with her (so that she knew where she was going) and the turned around and ran back to the Reservoir. There, I ran an entire loop because the coaches told me that all the advanced runners had already started their second loop.

When I got to the beginning though they said "Just kidding!" Apparently a few runners had been lapped and weren't accounted for, so we waited for them (the coach said she expected them in about 7 minutes, so I couldn't really start a new loop...they are 1.7 miles each).

Coach Sandy and I waited for the last girl and jogged in with her.

So, I didn't exactly get my 5 mile workout in (I would estimate that I got about 3 miles running and 1 mile walking) but that's ok.

I liked meeting some of the new runners and it was fun to remember training for my first marathon and everything that I went through.

Tonight (as long as I get out of work on time,) I am going to get in an easy 5 miles.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Yay, good job Sweeper Em! Donna's favorite piece of advice when she was first starting out and couldn't run the whole way was "It gets easier".