Friday, May 8, 2009

Say Goodbye to Your Drinking Friends!

Today we got our May schedule for Team in Training and that is what it says for today. I actually think it is a bit of an exaggeration...well, for now. I mean, Saturday practices are at 9am. That isn't too bad. But we do ramp up again pretty quickly. I mean, by the end of the month I am already running 8 miles again.

Anyway, one of my goals this year is to get FAST.

So one of the steps I am taking to do this is eating like a runner should. To do this, I figured I should actually figure out what I am eating now, and what I should be eating. So I tracked my nutrition yesterday.

According to Runner's World, I should be consuming 1820 calories a day to maintain my weight of 140 lbs. 50% of my diet should be carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat.

The results from yesterdays totals were surprising to me...

Calories: 1797

Wow. Not enough calories...even with a chocolate egg I scarfed down because I got hungry while the oven was pre-heating for dinner.

Carbs: 62%

Really? Whoops! I had no idea I ate so many carbs. I mean I didn't even have anything that I would consider "full of carbs". I considered myself to have eaten pretty healthily yesterday (minus that chocolate egg).

Protein: 18%

Definitely need more protein, but I already knew that. Having peanut butter midday helped me out there.

Fat: 20%

The surprise there was that it wasn't more. I think if you would have done these totals 2 years ago that number would be much higher, but luckily Bill has steered me along the right path when it comes to consuming less fat.

I am really going to try to be vigilant about keeping track of all of this as well as paying attention to my energy levels. I think this whole nutrition this is a big miss for me and could make me go faster if I am smarter about it.

This probably includes saying goodbye to my drinking friends as well :)

No comments: