Friday, October 9, 2009

Are You Freaking Out Yet?

That is what Ramon keeps asking us.

I was totally not freaking out about the marathon yet. Or at least I didn't think so, until I pretty much talked Bill's ear off in the subway car on the way to work about it. I wasn't sure what my time should be. I feel tired. I feel achy. Am I getting sick? (Probably not.) It hurts to walk up the hill by our apartment. It tires me to run 6 miles, how am I going to do 26.2? I'm not getting enough sleep. I'm not eating right. Should I be doing cross-training next week like I usually do during the week?

Lauren also got an earful on the way home in the subway last night...with her I had more practical concerns; I don't know what flavor of Gu to bring. How many are you bringing? Are you bringing an extra pair of shoes like Ramon said? When are you going to start packing? What are you doing for dinner that Friday?

The funny thing is, I go through this EVERY MARATHON SEASON. And I know that my body gets tired and can't do things it normally does. And I know I feel fat and sluggish and can't sleep. I also get crabby. Extremely crabby. Like everything irritates me. I don't think it helps that I am looking for a new apartment and work is crazy and I have dental surgery next week in the midst of this.

I have also picked up this really bad habit in the last two weeks of drinking soda instead of water. Now, I had pretty much taken soda completely out of my diet except for maybe having half a Coke every 2 weeks with pizza. But lately, I am drinking soda with lunch AND dinner...every day. (I also learned that since I had no caffeine in my diet for so long [I also do not drink coffee or eat much chocolate] that these Cokes were contributing to my insomnia problem...now I've switched to ginger ale.)

On top of this, I am supposed to be resting all week.

I guess I am sort of kind of freaking out. :)

1 comment:

Gina said...

It's ok you are going to do awesome!!!