Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Nike Women's Marathon Race Report 2

Our Team, Pre-Race (See the girl allllllll the way to the left with only half of her face showing? My head is right behind hers.)

BeCAUSE I am anal retentive, I had been charging my Garmin since we arrived in San Francisco. It was sitting right on my nightstand. My running friend Lauren thought this was overkill. :) I thought she was probably right, so, the night before the marathon I took it out of the charger and put it on top of my running clothes, which had also been sitting out since we arrived.

I wrote down my pace windows on my right hand with a Sharpie.

Basically what I wrote was this:

9:20 1-6
9:10 10-17
9:00 17-END

Mile 5: 45:30-48:30
Mile 10: 1:32-1:34
Mile 15: 2:16-2:21
Mile 20: 3:02-3:05

It's a good thing that my handwriting is small.

I actually slept well (the perk to running a west coast marathon is the time difference). I woke up to start getting ready and as I was Bodygliding I decided to check the time on my Garmin.

It. Was. Blank.

Completely blank. As in...no charge.

Freak out!!!

Now, let me explain something. Despite what you may think, I am NOT a runner who is tethered to the Garmin and can't function without it. HOWEVER, I had not planned on not having a Garmin. ESPECIALLY since I was trying to break 4:00. My brain does NOT function correctly on marathon day, so calculating splits in my head to make sure I was on track wasn't going to work. As I checked the Garmin charging on the nightstand, I realized that it was only charging about 1% per minute. Uh oh.

So here was the plan:
I take Bill's $9 digital watch, which doesn't have a lap function. Bill feverishly figured out my cumulative paces for the first 9 miles on a sheet of paper which I would carry with me. I go down to meet the team in the lobby, head over, get into the corral and wait for Bill to come with my Garmin with as much charge as it could get by 6:20. If I missed him, I would catch him at mile 11 and he could give me the Garmin.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Not cool.

I gave Bill and hug and headed downstairs. Since I was already pushing my limits to beat the 4:00 mark, I decided to Plan B the time goal too. I just was not mentally there anymore :(

No comments: