Thursday, October 1, 2009

Mental

According to Ramon, the rest of this season we will be concentrating on the mental aspect of our running. (This is good for me, because this is the part I struggle with most). He said that there is no possible way to get faster at this point, and all of our long runs are just supposed to make us feel like we can do the 26.2 miles. I would have to say, I pretty much agree with him. I mean, first of all, I think he is a pretty great coach, but also, in my experience, I have found this to be true.

So our Tuesday workout was a mental test.

It was three lower loops of the park. Each loop is 1.7 miles.

The first loop was supposed to be our race pace. For me, I have decided that this is 9 minute miles. The next loop was supposed to be FAST. The main objective of this loop was to get us very very tired. In fact, we should be so tired that we wouldn't be able to do another loop. Then the last loop should be as fast as the first loop.

Why?

Well, Ramon says that our bodies are hardwired to react, well, the way they should. So, when you expend all of your energy, say, racing, then your body reacts by slowing down. We want to train our bodies to know what that feels like, but still be able to push after that. Because during a marathon, we will be tired and not want to run any more, and will probably still have a few miles to go.

So I took out the first loop at around a 9 minute pace. But something felt wrong. I was super tired and drained. My legs felt heavy. I felt like I wanted to stop before the loop was over. I felt like I was sprinting, but my average pace for the loop was a 9:15. I felt so exhausted that I didn't even want to do the second loop. I even thought of cutting the workout short and only doing two loops.

I decided to try as best as I could to pick up the pace on the next loop, but I felt like I was going slower. I couldn't tell, because it was so dark that I couldn't really see my watch. I did know that I had lost Lauren on that loop. But the good thing was, that as far as I could tell, Molly hadn't passed me (she started behind me).

OK. By this time I was super exhausted and my legs felt like lead (especially my calves). I decided to just do the last loop as best as I could. It was tough and I was glad when it was over.

Turns out, I did the workout well!

My first loop averaged a 9:15 pace, my second a 8:34 pace and my third was an 8:43 pace. That made me feel better "mentally".

I am chalking up the slower times (because usually my pace would be faster) and the tired feeling to the fact that I did my 20 this weekend and that when I am at peak mileage I tend to tire out.

I guess we'll see for sure on Saturday during my long run.

No comments: