Tuesday, October 6, 2009

It's the Final Countdown!

Whoo-hoo!

Last Saturday was my LAST long run before the marathon. Now it's onto the taper!

This run was at one of my favorite places to run: Hartsdale. Since I had gotten my 20 in I decided to do 18 for this one. I think marathon training is more of an art than a science...too many things factor into training to just go by the book. I am in good shape this year but my body has been feeling pretty tired. I have a feeling that not doing 2x 20 this year will be a good thing for me.

Anyway, Hartsdale is beautiful, but it does have a couple of sudden hills. You would think that it would be a boring run because it is 5 miles up and back and then a repeat of the course again, but it is actually so scenic that it is not at all boring.

I don't know what it is about these end-of-the-season long runs, but I always end up doing them by myself...even if I start off with other people. I think this is probably a good thing though, because it allows me to get in the right mental frame of mind for my marathon. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE running with my friends, but when it comes down to marathon day there are just too many things going on in my head and I sort of prefer to run alone.

It was a good run for me.

I averaged a 9:25 pace for the whole time, but it felt really nice and easy (so this was a huge confidence booster). My big wish for the race is that this will be my pace for the first 4-6 or so miles and then I can pick it up from there. Overall, I was very happy.

And you know what I did all day after the run?

I watched TV. ALL DAY. (OK, all day except for the 2 hour nap I took.) This is the first training season that I have actually admitted to myself that it is okay to rest after a long run. Usually I decide to clean the whole house/apartment after long runs, or go shopping, or to a museum, or something else ridiculous. I think for some reason, I used to feel guilty about taking up a whole day of my weekend for running.

Not this year!

This year I am enjoying my rest after long runs, and it is very very awesome. :)

No comments: