Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Running Again

Yes, it may be trite, but it's true...if you don't feel like working out, you should sign up for an event.

A few weeks ago I signed up for the More Half Marathon. I figured:

• a half marathon is much more do-able than a whole one
• it is all the way in April
• the race is actually run in Central Park...where I train, so there are no surprise hills or anything and I have no excuses if I am not ready for it

But mostly I was wooed over by the More 16-week training plan, which kind of freaks me out because it is much much much less mileage than normal. But I am going to try it, because I have been reading lots about how people overtrain for long distances and it gives me a chance to fit in my cross-training workouts without having to double-up on days or workout for unreasonable amounts of time. In short, it is doable. (To be fair, I am not following it EXACTLY...I am using it as a mileage guide, not so much a pace guide.)

And because misery loves company, I have enlisted a few friends to help: Bill will be my day-to-day training partner. I knew he was in the minute I said "low-mileage". Unfortunately, he does not get the payoff of actually running the half, because it is for women only. Bess, my friend in Brooklyn, is running a 5k for the first time on my birthday (Gina and I challenged a bunch of our non-running friends to train for and run a 5k with us). When I tossed the idea out to the non-running group, she said she would consider it. Gina said if Bess signed up, Gina would too. So, by default, I now have 3 people training with me. Hurrah! THAT is really what will get me out the door and running. :)

No comments: