Monday, July 14, 2008

Cincinnati Running

This past week was my first time running back in Cincinnati since the Flying Pig. I decided to hit the Lunken Bike Path, because I wimped out on the Cincinnati hills. Plus, it was conveniently located and I could keep track of my mileage (each loop is 5 miles). So...I realized that running in Cincinnati vs New York is really really quite different!

CINCY: Humidity is out of control
NY: Humidity is WAY out of control (my parents think it is because I live in a concrete jungle).

CINCY:I counted 12 bunnies in my path on my run
NY: The only wildlife I've ever seen in Central Park are pigeons, wrens and carriage horses

CINCY: Bikers who announce their presence politely and stay out of your way
NY: Bikers who try to run you over and then curse you out for something or other

CINCY:About 6 other runners on a Saturday morning
NY:Too many runners/walkers/bikers/tourists to count

CINCY:I can hear my footfalls
NY: I can hear traffic

CINCY: When you are finished you get in your car and drive to get home
NY: When you are finished you get on the subway and try to stay as far away from people as you can since you are disgustingly sweaty

I also noticed that the humidity is DIFFERENT. This was weird to me, because I always thought humidity was humidity, but I guess I was wrong. For the first time, I actually FELT it in my lungs. It felt like it was pressing down on them and made the first mile or so hard to breathe until I got used to it. I was also very surprised that New York seems to be MORE humid. I always thought Cincinnati was the most humid place around. Of course, I am not gauging this through any scientific method...just the ponytail test. My ponytail wasn't soaked through after my 10 miles like it usually is in New York after my warm-up.

Anyway, I'm sure Coach Ramon has some crazy hill workout planned for us tomorrow. So I'm glad that today is a rest day. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come back to NYC! I miss you and so does TNT! Also here is a note of advice: do not drink a Starbucks Coffee Frappucino Light before a tempo run. Ugh, GI distress central.

Judi said...

I was at Lunken on Tuesday.