Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Treadmill? In the Summer?

Yes, I was forced to do a treadmill workout tonight. I got bogged down at work and didn't make it to practice. Last year, this would have meant that I just felt badly about missing the workout (especially since tonight's was a hill workout). This year it means that I got to do Coach Ramon's alternative treadmill workout.

I hate the treadmill.

Fortunately everyone that used to go to the gym in my apartment during the winter is either working out outside or has better things to do than workout. So I got to watch "the Simpsons" while I did hills.

This was my workout. (All done at 6.3 mph).

8 minutes warmup
Repeat the following, 3x:
2 minutes at incline 2
3 minutes at incline 6
2 minutes at incline 1
5 minutes recovery

When I was warming up I was thinking that maybe I should increase the speed. Even after the 2 minutes at incline 2 I was feeling like I was slacking a bit. But then I got to incline 6. It really IS like running a for real hill. I don't think I've ever had the incline up so high on the treadmill. Luckily, it was only 3 minutes. It was do-able, but I was breathing hard. By the end of the workout I was dripping sweat. I'm glad I didn't decide to increase the pace. It seemed just right for me.

I'm wondering if anyone is going to even show up for the group workout on the 5th. I'm thinking that maybe there will be 10 people. Most everyone I know is going to the shore for the weekend. OR partying too much to worry about getting up in the morning to do 14-16 miles. I'll be there though. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did all of my training for Cincinnati on the treadmill (I have small kids so it's hard to get out to run) except for my long runs. I got some awesome hill work from my treadmill! Cincinnati had hills, but I could handle them nicely thanks to my treadmill.

Anonymous said...

Ooops, I messed up that last one.

We missed you on Tuesday! The workout wasn't the most horrible thing ever. I'm sorry you got stuck at work. Boo.