Wednesday, April 16, 2008

According to Bart Yasso...

I should now be able to run my marathon in 4 hours and 22 minutes! Actually, doing 10 Yassos wasn't that bad.

I am still nervous about running the entire Pig at a ten-minute mile pace. But everything that I have been doing has told me that I can do it (the 20-miler in Cincinnati at a ten-minute pace, the 10 Yassos, my declining times on my long runs). I want to make sure I don't overthink the whole thing. When I was a swimmer I used to psych myself out when it came to the meets, and not do as well as I was doing at practice. So I am going to try really hard not to worry about it too much and just have fun :)

Also, I finally understand what all of those other runners in my old running group felt during taper. Everyone always felt like they weren't doing enough, that they wanted to do more, that they had too much energy. (I was always like 'Whatever. I don't know about you, but I am exhausted from all of this training.') Coach Joe always reassured everyone that your body actually needed the rest and that's what taper was all about. He said you should resist the urge to overdo it.

I feel like I am pent up though. I have so much energy. And last night, during the Biggest Loser, I felt this huge urge to lift weights or do some push-ups or something, even though I had just finished my speedwork. I also have gained about a pound and a half this week (frustrating!!!), but I also think that this is because of the taper. (I kind of remember people talking about gaining weight during taper, but I don't know.) At least, that is what I am going to say it is, so that I don't get too hung up on it.

Hmmm, it seems like the closer I get to my marathons, the more neurotic I get about everything. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think taper neurosis is a real thing! Isn't "Biggest Loser" the best to workout to? I had one of my best treadmill workouts last night watching the show!

Unknown said...

Yes! And it is so inspirational. Plus, it makes me think twice about going to the kitchen for a bowl of ice cream when I'm watching it.

Judi said...

I jump on my bike during my taper. And swim. Go swim some laps. That'll help your energy levels. I think endurance athletes all have major neurosis!