Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Recovery Run

Monday night I had a nice, easy workout. I spent all day still sore from Saturday's 20-mile run, so I was debating whether or not to do a workout at all. But I am so glad I did! I guess there is a reason that we have recovery runs built into marathon programs...they really truly help you recover! It was nice to have a good relaxing run and it almost was like the huge payoff you get from stretching after a tough Pilates class.

Tonight though, I have NINE Yassos. Yuck. I am NOT looking forward to it. I am hoping that the gym is not a sauna like it has been recently. With nine of these things I think I am going to be down there forever. I already wrote up my cheat sheet so that I don't have to figure out all of the times in my head. I think with nine of them I would lose count pretty quickly. The only thing that will be good about tonights workout is that it will be affirmation that I can really keep a ten-minute pace for the whole marathon (I mean, if you believe the Yasso principle about that...I do!). Next week will be 10 and then no more Yassos until my next marathon training! Hurrah!

I'm wondering though...is it crazy to cut the recovery time down? I run my Yassos at a 4:22 for each half mile and then take a two minute break between each one. That is how we always did them at Ronckers. But for a true Yasso, I should be taking a 4:22 break as well. I'm wondering what I am gaining by doing that...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've wondered the same thing about recovery time for Yassos. I shorten mine - walking the same amount of time as running seems like a lot of walking especially since I'm doing them at a 4:50-5:00 pace (Cincinnati will be my 1st marathon - I hoping for an under 5hr finish).

Anonymous said...

The only thing I can think of that make it worthwhile to keep you recovery time the same as you interval time is that in the long run (no pun intended) you end up with a longer workout...which is probably good for endurance reasons.