Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Making Use of my NYRR Membership

I finally got my New York Road Runner's membership card in the mail! I had decided not to get involved in the New York running community until after the marathon. It is just too crazy with my work and training schedule right now. And besides, most of the group runs are too short for my training schedule right now. So I am looking forward to taking full advantage of my membership in May. It will be a good way to make sure I keep running.

However, I noticed that they have a lecture this week. They occasionally run lectures that have to do with running and are free to NYRR members ($5 for non-members). It is right in my neighborhood AND it's called "The Art and Science of Fueling the Running Body". They couldn't have made it easier for me to go to it :)
I have been obsessed with runner's nutrition ever since I started eating correctly because A) It has helped me lose 10 lbs this training season, which I swear is making me run faster, and B) it is giving me a whole lot of energy that I didn't have before, which I KNOW is making me run faster. So I'm pretty excited to go. Plus, it's always good to meet other runners. I will just have to bite the bullet and make myself overcome the shyness I usually have at these kind of things.

The lecture is being put on by Dr. Lewis G. Maharam, who is the medical director for the New York Marathon and a columnist for Runnersworld, Dr. Felicia D. Stoler, the sports nutrition coordinator for the NYC Marathon (she is also the host of some show on TLC called "Honey We're Killing the Kids" andHeidi Skolnick who is the nutritionist for the New York Giants.

I'm also going to an informational meeting next week on Team In Training. I wanted to check them out since Team CdLS will be running Chicago (and not New York) this year. I've heard mostly good things about running with them, but I want to check it out for myself. I am also going to look into other charities too, because I would really really like to run New York in the fall.

Tonight is my last round of Yassos (10!!!).

No comments: