Monday, April 21, 2008

Final 14

Yesterday I had my last truly long run before the marathon. It worked out well too, because this was the week both Bill and I had to run the same mileage at the same pace. So we ran together in Central Park, trying to incorporate some extra hills just for good measure.

It is amazing to me how much concentration it actually takes to run at your "goal pace". Mine is a ten-minute mile and I really had to think about what I was doing. It is crazy though because I was dead on. When we hit one mile we were at 9:50, at 4 we were at 40:09, at 5.4 we were at 54:00 and at 10 we were at 1:40. We finished our 14 miles at 2:20.30...30 seconds off! I think I should be a paceleader (just kidding of course).

I learned though, that by taking it out at my goal pace (ok, I was a smidge faster, but then I slowed it down quickly) instead of the faster pace that I usually take, and keeping that pace, I actually have energy to go through my entire race. Usually I hit mile 5 and am exhausted. I know this is not rocket science to most people, but I am one of those people who has to actually DO something before I fully believe it.

Both Bill and I were so sore last night, we were pitiful. I was actually a little worried. I mean I was exhausted after 14, and I am supposed to do almost twice as much as that in two weeks. It kind of freaked me out. But I feel fine today, so I guess it's ok.

I'm already preparing for my next marathon by going to a meeting tonight for Team in Training. I am going to take a month off of running (well, at least running every day) in June to get some serious cross training and weight training in. But I am going to try and keep up this "two marathons a year" thing as long as I can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I run with TEAM in Training. Best thing I ever did. I'm actually considering being a mentor with TNT for the Flying Pig next year. Which marathon are you going to be doing?

Unknown said...

I'm hoping to run the NYC Marathon with them! I'm glad to hear you say it was a good experience!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are ready!! Just keep your pace and enjoy the run. You are going to do great.