Monday, April 14, 2008

The Heat Is On

So, this week, I decided to do my long run on Saturday for two reasons. The first being that I loved how last week I had the whole weekend in front of me and I wouldn't have to worry about getting that run in. The second being that it was supposed to thunderstorm in the afternoon and all of Sunday. As it turned out, all of Saturday was very very beautiful...and HOT! (Well, hot for running.)

I realized just how unprepared I am for running in warmer temps. It is always a struggle with me, because I do love running in the cold. But it is amazing how a 20 degree rise in temperature can change your run so much! Last week we were in the 40s-50s which I found enjoyable. This week, running in the 60s-70s was a struggle. I'm sure it didn't help that I chose to run when the sun was at it's highest point and beating down on me. But I better get used to it, because Cincinnati is generally warmer than New York AND we still have three weeks for it to get even warmer. (One thing that was really cool though, is that the park is in full bloom! It actually looked and felt like spring! And I got to see the cherry blossoms in bloom, which was really cool.)

I also felt like I was waaaay off pace, but I think that was due to two things; the heat AND the fact that I ran 20 last week. I think that 20 must have really done me in more than usual, because after my 10 this week my legs were so achy, even into the next day. I ended up with a 10 minute pace, which IS my GP for the race, but I was a little disappointed since my last 9 miler had a 8:45 pace.

I also added in some hills for myself to better prepare me for the Pig. Instead of bypassing the big, sudden hill up to Strawberry Fields, like I usually do, I added it into my run. I also did the top of the park loop TWICE in order to run Great Hill twice.

Next week is my last truly long run, at 14 miles. And Wednesday I am up to 10 Yassos. Yay! Taper!

No comments: