Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Recovery Run

Last night was the first run that I've done since the marathon...and it was HARD.

I had to meet my fellow TNT members at 6:40 at the fountain in Central Park. Well, I kind of underestimated the time it would take to get there. I had only a slight idea of where I was going, and had to run to get there. (This drives me crazy because I am always super-punctual if not always early). I was running with the intermediate group because I am not supposed to move up to advanced until the first week of June.

I am SO GLAD because that run absolutely exhausted me. I thought we would just jump in with a couple of miles (seeing as that we are starting our training SO EARLY) but we did a regular workout last night: five miles. It was a good thing that I had someone to talk to (that is what I love about training with a group) because it made the whole thing go a lot faster. She found me because she loved my running skirt (my Triks one) and thought my shirt was funny (it says "Marathon Ho"). It is funny because in group situations where I don't know anyone, I always make friends when people compliment me on my clothes. I guess that is why it is always important to wear something cute :)

My legs were so tired. And here is another weird thing...during my past few runs I have gotten so many blisters. And not just regular blisters – blisters on top of blisters, blood blisters and blood blisters under callouses. I don't know what is up with this because I never ever get blisters. I never even got them when I did toe dancing. There is no way that it is my shoes because they only have about 150 miles on them. I am also wearing the right socks. All I know is that it makes running totally painful. And since I've never had them I don't know one thing about them. So they suck. (I know, boo hoo hoo).

The cool thing about TNT is that the coach is SOOOO thorough. He made us all stretch together so that he could make sure we were doing the stretches right and then gave us the whole reasoning behind each stretch. I already feel like I am learning a lot. He also makes me laugh, which is a good thing when you are going through something as painful as a marathon.

There were about 100 people in each of the groups which means there are about 350 people on the team! And that is just the team in Manhattan! That is crazy!

As much as my blisters hurt, it is nice to get back into running again.

(Oh yeah, and I did a 46:08 for those five miles).

1 comment:

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I go through phases with blisters. I'll be fine for a while, and out of the blue rub up something huge.

The last one was under a callous. Nice.

I like this stuff. It'll stay put for at least 10 miles.

There's not enough adhesive for the amount of gel pads in that package, but you can buy more adhesive (or, just adhesive and gel separately). The gel stuff stays moist in the packet. Mine's still good from a year ago!

I guess I need to buy more bandages.