Monday, June 30, 2008

The Best $3 I Spent

Saturday was so so hot.

In fact, it was so hot that all of my team members (myself included) were sweating BEFORE we started our practice. Our workouts were all over the place (half-marathoners were running 6-7 miles, beginner marathoners 4-5, intermediate 10-12 and advanced 12-14). To complicate matters more we were running in pace groups, not groups by level. Since I was already sweating buckets and knew I had to do at least 12 miles I decided to run with the 10 minute pace group. I was so glad to have a pace leader because I tend to go way too fast at the beginning of my long runs.

Our little 10 minute pace group gathered up before the run and with a quick survey (with a showing of hands) I found out that Nicole and I were the only ones running 12. Everyone else was running less. INCLUDING our pace leader :( She was running 10, which at first I was like 'Two miles of pacing on our own? Cake!'. But then I realized that because of how the loops were set-up we would actually only be running with her for 5 miles. Grrrr. That meant I would have to concentrate on my run.

It was all the more complicated because the Pride Race was going on. So we had to run outside of the race barriers for a few miles and risk being run over by the overzealous cyclists (who are really angry because of a recent article in the New Yorker called "Who Owns Central Park?").

Luckily though, this meant that there was plenty of water out on tables. (Don't worry, I didn't take any until the race was over and the volunteers were cleaning up).

Anyway, our pace group started out great. It was a nice, relaxing pace and I found myself having to slow down a couple of times. Our pace leader pointed out all of the water fountains in the park. We were all having nice conversation to pass the time. Then she left us at 5 miles :(

Nicole and I did our best to keep the 10 minute pace, and we actually did a pretty good job. But as time wore on, we had to stop more and more to get water. It was just too hot. When we finished our first loop we were right around the end of the Pride Race. Everyone had rainbow striped popsicles. Nicole and I were SO JEALOUS. She wanted to stop at one of the vendor's carts to get a popsicle. I was like "No way. I have no incentive to finish if we do that." We started talking about Sno-Cones. At first all this talk was good, but then it just seemed to drag the run on. There were carts with them everywhere (or maybe it was just a mirage...just kidding). We climbed Great Hill for the second time and I was about done with the whole thing. Too bad I had about 4 more miles to go. We were still keeping our ten minute pace.

When we got to 72nd street on the east side I was so happy! 1.5 miles to go! I saw another cart and told Nicole that I decided to get a Sno-Cone when I was finished. It was one of the longer 1.5 miles that I have ever run. I had to stop myself from stopping to get water every 30 seconds.

We finished and went to the bag area where we immediately bought Sno-Cones. Who knew they could be so so delicious? Although it was sort of hard to stretch and eat it at the same time, it was the best $3 I spent all day!

No comments: