Friday, June 27, 2008

Quick! I Need an Opinion!

Tomorrow's workout is a 12-14 mile run "easy". Coach Ramon says it's all about spending time on your feet.
The thing is, we're running in pace groups and I have no idea which one I should run with. The problem is that I have been pushing myself. So, when I was in the 5 mile Hope and Possibility Race I took the first mile out "easy". I clocked a 9:10, which felt comfortable to me at the time. Last night however, my 9:12 pace seemed a little harder than usual. In my last marathon, my pace was a 10:55. Grrrrr! Which group should I run with?

Ramon says:

"You should run with the group that feels very comfortable to you, remember saturday's is all about running easy, and spend time on your feet. If you find yourself pushing and putting too much effort early on, be smart (i know it could be a lot to ask...but try it !) and move to a slower group (either the same day or the following week)
How do you know if you are running with the right group?
1-If the pace feels easy early on and almost feel like you are holding back
2-if you can maintain a conversation while running
3-if you finish you run knowing that you could have gone a bit longer.

how do you know if you are in the wrong group?
1-if you feel like you are
2-if your breathing is elaborate while running
3-if you find yourself dropping farther back each mile.
4-if you hate the person next to you because he/she is not breathing hard.

I know it's not a huge deal to switch groups in the middle, but I would really like to try to stay with the group the whole time. Also, I still want to push myself (only a LITTLE...I realize this is an easy run) from what I have done in my past marathons.

1 comment:

Billiam said...

This advice may not be helpful, but I think you should play it by ear. The humidity and the heat are supposed to be out in force tomorrow (in NYC). Remember Jeff Galloway's 30 for 5 rule (for a marathon): slow down 30 seconds per mile for every 5 degrees above 60F.

See the e-coaching section here:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/resources/news_archives/jun2004.html