Monday, April 6, 2009

10 Minutes!

I ran my 18 this weekend and so did Bill! Yay!

Because my training has been so off this season and we're getting closer and closer to the marathon I had set some much different goals for this 18 than usual. My goals were to:

• Take it nice and easy so that there are no injuries
• Enjoy the run
• Complete the run
• Convince Bill that he CAN run 18 even though his training has been as spotty as mine
• Convince Bill that if he can run 18 he can run 20, and if he can run 20, he can run 26.2

I did all of these things. It was actually QUITE enjoyable. Bill and I are usually at odds with one another when we run together and it can be quite stressful. I think it has to do with the fact that we are both competitive, we are both stubborn and when we are on a run, all of our mars/venus communication differences seem to come through. It basically has taken us a whole year of running together to figure out how to have a cordial run together. (This is why we could never work together). But Saturday it was as if all the planets were aligned.

I don't think I COULD have had such an enjoyable run without Bill. I think we really helped each other out. We took it at an easy pace, which was harder to do than you would think. The goal was 10 minute miles all the way. We started off with a 9 minute mile. So we slowed down, and it felt like such an effort. That being said...

I think we have found our pace for the marathon.

We were definitely hurting at the end of the run, and I don't think I could have done any more. But at the same time, I knew that I could run again on Monday. So I think that is just perfect for us.

I would really LIKE to be able to push harder and get a marathon where I am ecstatic at the finish line (like I was in the Bronx half when I finished with an 8:45 pace). But I think it's not in the cards for this one. If we can finish with a 4:22 I will be happy this time.

Consistent pace.

That is going to be my mantra.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

So, Emily, I've been reading your blog off and on for the past two years - since they posted the link on the Flying Pig website in 2007. You have really increased your pace in two years. That's awesome! In your opinion, what has contributed most to your time improvements? Crosstraining? Your time with TNT? Working out with Jillian? =) Just having running "experience"?

Have fun in Cincinnati - hope you can convince Bill to do the whole thing! See you there!

Unknown said...

I have thought about this a lot and I think it is all of those things (x-training, jillian workouts, coach ramon's help with tnt) but I think what it is the MOST is that I have changed my attitude towards running. I WANTED to run faster so I did everything within my power to do that. That was the push for me to do those things like x-train etc.