Monday, August 3, 2009

#@%$ing Garmin!

Grrrr. My Garmin Forerunner 405 gets one more chance before I send it back for repairs. It has been acting very crazy lately and I think there may be a short in it. This is very disappointing because I love my Garmin and I do not want to be without it for any of my runs. But more importantly, I don't want to be without for my marathon in October, so if something is wrong with it I need it fixed now.

When I ran in the Gay Pride run in June I kept trying to get it to reset, but it was like the reset button wouldn't work. I finally got it to reset like 3 seconds before I went over the starting mat (stress!).

I noticed it behaving strangely again when I did my speed work in the rain two weeks ago. It was searching, searching, searching for the satellites (which it usually takes awhile to do, but this time, when it the end of the progress bar it just froze). After trying to restart it 3 times I finally got it to work, but after my first lap I kept trying to hit the lap button with no luck. When I looked down to see my pace, it had gone to time/date mode and even though I kept trying to make it go back into training mode it would not. But the whole rest of the run it kept beeping. It was so annoying. "BEEP BEEP BEEP" every single time I moved my arm (which was a lot). That night it wouldn't connect to the ANT stick. Grrrr.

I decided to try the good old tech trick...let the battery drain all the way down.

This seemed to help! No issues on Tuesday night's practice. Well, except the fact that the light would come on and go off like every three seconds without me touching the bezel or anything. It was like it was posessed.

Saturday, for my 14 miler I was very optimistic.

It was doing great, just like when I first got it! At mile 6 I couldn't get it to log my split with the "lap" button again. Hmmm. Then, I decided to take a walk/Gu/water break at mile 10.5. I stopped my watch with the intention of starting it again when I was finished refueling. When I went to start it again it had gone to the time/date screen and I could NOT get it to go to training mode again. So I ran the last 4 miles sans watch. Which was REALLY disappointing, because I felt really really good on the run (and like I could have gone another 4 miles no problem, despite the heat) but now I will never know what my time and splits were.

Frustration.

I am going to try one more thing...I need to make sure that my Garmin is not storing a million runs, so I am going to go through and make sure they are all erased tonight. But I have a feeling I am sending it back.

I hope the whole process is easy. I have never heard of anyone having to deal with Garmin's Customer Service or get a repair on their Forerunner 405. So I'm crossing my fingers...

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi Emily! Just letting you know I started one of these things. Thanks for the inspiration! See you tomorrow

Jives said...

Even though your Garmin is being wacky, I can't help but be impressed with your technological savviness. I can barely work my Timex, lol!