Monday, August 10, 2009

Mayor No-Show

This weekend Team in Training was invited to kick off the Summer Streets program in NYC! What is Summer Streets? Well, basically Park Avenue is closed to traffic so that runners and bikers can enjoy a long stretch of the city for three weekends in August. It was SO FUN last year. And TNT was invited to cut the ribbon this year. We were supposed to be running with Mayor Bloomberg but he didn't show up.

We even waited around an hour for him, starting our practice late (which stinks because it gets SO HOT). But, as his aides told our coaches previously that week "He is the mayor of New York City. Something may come up." Uh huh...What exactly comes up at 7 in the morning on a Saturday? Sleeping in? And isn't he the one who spearheaded this whole Summer Streets thing anyway? I mean, this was his little pet project as I remember reading last year.

ANYWAY, that couldn't even get me down too much, because I LOVE Summer Streets. It was crazy too, because there were about 500 TNTers on the road (Bloomberg said he would come if we could promise 200 people). We took over all of Park Avenue!

I was planning on running the 15 miles on the calendar, but after talking to the coaches (who admonished me, since I am running the NYC half next Sunday) I decided to do 8, like they suggested. I really do want to get a PR in the NYC half, so the taper is worth it.

Lauren and I CANNOT figure out our pace on these lesser mileage runs though. We usually keep the long runs to 9-9:30 miles, but we were flying. And it felt like we were flying. We were averaging 8:30s, but it felt REALLY GOOD. I know you are not supposed to do things like this during a taper, but it was actually a real confidence booster for me.

My half PR is a 1:54 (from the Bronx) which averages out to an 8:45 pace, but that was in the winter when it was cold and the conditions were optimal for an "Emily PR". So I was wondering if I could do that again since it is so hot.

After that run, I totally feel like I can. I felt so great. I could have gone another 8 miles!

No comments: