Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mixed Bag of Complaints :(

I think this is the part of the season where I get all tired of running and start looking forward to getting back to my normal life, where I can go home after work and not work out. (If you haven't noticed...my blog entries have been kind of complainy lately.) I guess this is sort of ironic though, because my "normal life" pretty much is training for or running a marathon, since I have been doing that from January to the end of October for the past 3 years.

So I was actually pretty disappointed when I had to miss another gruelling workout on Tuesday because I was working late. This one was supposed to be a test, doing mile repeats. I would have loved to see how fast I could go on the miles, (improvement always makes me feel happy about running again) but it just wasn't in the cards.

So yesterday, I talked Bill into running with me. We didn't go out until 7:30, so it was nice and cool(er then it has been), and we ran right along the Hudson, which was nice.

But I have noticed lately, that my calves have been super tight. And not just when I'm running, but all the time. My shins are a little achey too, which is not good. My calves were so tight last night that when we turned around to head back (it was dark! I hate how it gets dark out so early now!) I had to stop and stretch them out.

I don't like feeling so sore all the time, especially since I haven't been feeling like I've been getting a lot out of running lately. To be fair, I don't feel like I've been putting a lot into it either.

I am also kind of freaking out because I have no idea when I am going to get all of my mileage in, since I am going on vacation and am going to be missing an entire week of practice (which includes 2 long runs.) I know, I know, run on the beach. But seriously, I think I need a vacation from working out too. It has been a long time since I've had a "real" vacation that doesn't include working or travelling to a marathon, so I kind of want to put running on hiatus while I am at the beach.

So, this weekend I will be trying to get in my 18 miler, while most of my group is doing an 8-10 miler. And then I think I am going to do another long run on the Friday before I leave for vacation, although that sounds pretty stressful.

I've worked too hard this season to not PR San Francisco, but with my training going as it's going I just don't know. :(

1 comment:

busyrunningmama said...

Don't stress yourself out about the long runs, if you have time for one, then do one and then go on a "real" vacation. Enjoy yourself and know that every now and then you just have to take a break!!! It's okay to take a break, running will be there when you get back !
Hope you have a great vacation!!