Monday, August 31, 2009

Longest Run

This weekend I had my longest run of the season (so far). It was an 18-miler and besides the fact that it rained, it was pretty uneventful.

I was actually really glad for the rain. It was a nice break from the crazy heat/humidity I've been dealing with on my long runs, and it made the park a lot less crowded. I was really aiming to keep my pace around 10 minutes for the first few miles and then drop down to around a 9:30. Instead, I pretty much kept a 9:30 the entire time. I felt really good and like I could actually do a few more miles afterwards, so I think it's pretty key for me to feel like I'm "holding back" in those first few miles.

The one thing that was horrible is that when I got home and got in the shower I had to scream. I didn't even realized that I had chafed so badly. It HURT. I just assumed that I hadn't chafed because I had used Body Glide EVERYWHERE. So now I have matching scars on both clavicles, a really really horrible one under my chest on the left side, a circular one around my navel and one on my inner thigh on the right side. I am using Neosporin like crazy so that the scars don't become permanent fixtures (like some of my other chafing marks.

Oh yeah. And I am also hungry ALL THE TIME now. I just can't get enough to eat. It must be all those calories I'm burning :)

4 comments:

busyrunningmama said...

I'm not having the chaffing problem yet, my longest run is only at 6 miles but I'm slowly adding miles and not looking forward to that!
As for the hungry part, I'm with ya girl, I am starving all the time!! I can't seem to get enough calories, I am always trying to get "good calories" but they just don't seem to fill ya up like the bad ones!! Ha ha!!
Great job on 18 miles!!!!

Anonymous said...

Here's a trick I learned after chaffing like crazy after the Disney and Chicago '07 marathons. I like you hadn't realized I had even chaffed since I used Body Glide all over. But the trick is Destin - the chafing places are usually clear the next morning!

Gina said...

Haha, I'm at the hungry portion of the program, too! I just finished my lunch and I'm already excited about peanut butter toast for snack time. That chafing sounds really awful--maybe the rain made it worse than usual.

Anonymous said...

Had that same screaming shower experience myself...for me it's my underarms and lower sports bra area!