Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Snow Run

Saturday was...fun. At least we finally got to run outside. And at least I finally got to run with the group again. When I woke up snow was everywhere and the roads were horrible! I slid my way to Newport on the Levee and was surprised to see most of the group there. We had a seven mile run which was half on well traveled roads (note I say roads not sidewalks) and half on an unplowed road by the river. The well-travelled roads were a challenge. We were running into oncoming traffic in a single file line. The slush was super slippery, so we had to watch our balance. I felt like we were wading through water because there was so much resistance and we were going so SLOWLY. So I was happy when we finally turned down by the river...just pure snow, no slush AND no traffic. I realized when you are running in the snow along a deserted road with no landmarks the run becomes very long. Nevertheless, I tried to stare at the horizon, not at the ground, like Bob taught us at the running clinic. It was depressing. I couldn't wait for the gatorade at the halfway point. I kept running and running. No gatorade. Was this a joke? Haven't we gone halfway yet? Then we approached the mall at the levee. I was like "YES! We're finished!" Just kidding. We veered off to the right and went behind and around before the end. That felt like a LOT more than 7 miles! But at the same time I was proud of myself because at the end of my Thanksgiving Day training group we only did 6.5 miles and that felt waaaay worse. :)

No comments: