Monday, February 26, 2007

Three Stupid Things Emily Does to Mess Up Her Runs

I must say, I did a LOT of stupid things on my Saturday run. The first being further experimentation with what can stay in my system before a run without coming up. We were out of my usual Toaster Strudels so I thought two cookies would be a good substitute. Not so much. Luckily, Coach Joe had Shot Bloks available for $1.50 before the run. Shot Bloks are this "replacement fuel" for long runs. Each one is about 100 calories, so our coach recommended 2 somewhere before the 8th mile. Gu is also an option. I have one of these sitting in a drawer at home. It says "vanilla". I don't know. I'm not that desparate yet. I have not had luck with Shot Bloks in the past. I think they are incredibly disgusting with a horrible taste and the texture somewhere between tofu and gummy bears. Apparantly the lemon-lime was what was bugging me. The Cran-Razz was actually not too bad. It did come up a little with a strange taste when it combined with Gatorade. On the website they also have margarita flavored. Is that really something you want to be tasting/remembering on your run???

The second stupid thing I did? I decided to put my shuffle on my collar instead of my wasteband. No BodyGlide to help with the chafing. The result? My friend, Maren says it looks like I have cigarette burns on my chest.

The third stupid thing? Well, if you are burning 1471 calories on a run, it might be a good idea to replenish afterwards. I had my typical (not so healthy) breakfast at McDonalds afterwards, but then only a small burger with a baked potato for dinner...AFTER a marathon shopping trip. No wonder I was soooooo sleepy this weekend.

So my new friends are: five to six meals a day, Neosporin and BodyGlide

No comments: