Friday, February 22, 2008

Cheater

Last night I was a cheater and went to the gym instead of running outside. It's not even like it was that much colder than usual or even that the grounds were wet or anything. When I was walking to the subway I was just thinking "I REALLY don't want to run in this." In fact, I really didn't want to run at all, but I knew that I owed myself 40 minutes according to the marathon training schedule.

The last time I went to the gym was about a month ago. I wanted to try out the weight machines. I haven't been back because it wasn't a great experience. It wasn't really a BAD experience, it just wasn't great. I THINK its because some of the lights were out or dying, and I'm one of those people who thinks that bad lighting can actually make you feel bad (one of the reasons I can't shop at Walmart...they actually make the light bad so that you keep moving and get out of there faster).

Anyway, last night was actually quite pleasant. They fixed the lights which made all the difference. PLUS, since it is just a gym for the residents of the building they don't make you wear headphones to listen to the TV (which always annoyed me at the Y because they were always catching on things and making my ipod fall to the ground). In fact, Bill and I were the only ones in there most of the time that we were there.So we, of course, watched the Simpsons while working out.

Since I felt like I was cheating by not actually running outside, I set the elliptical program to the hill interval, which I think is the most difficult. I also set the resistance to 6 (I am usually a wimp and do about 2). It was also nice to wear my running skirt again instead of layers and layers of clothes.

At any rate, it's nice to know that I have a gym in my building. Because when I really really don't feel like working out, it's been all too easy to just skip. But having a nice, free gym just an elevator ride away would make me feel waaaaaay too guilty about doing that.

14 miles this weekend! If the snow keeps up I'll have a beautiful run in Central Park!

No comments: