Friday, February 8, 2008

D'Oh!

Yesterday, I decided that appearance was more important than comfort and wore what my boss calls my "ruby slippers" to work. They are these red patent leather peep-toed pumps with a skinny 6-inch heel. They actually are quite comfortable if you are just walking around the office and not much more. I had no problem with them in Cincinnati, where I did mostly driving and very little walking.

Well, I kind of forgot that I had a meeting uptown yesterday...and my boss walks FAST. Plus, although I am usually anchored to my desk all day, yesterday I was running from room to room for various conference calls etc.

When I got home, my feet were killing me so badly that as soon as I was past the doorman I slipped my shoes off and padded down the hallway to my elevator in my stockinged feet. Luckily, someone was holding the door for me and was sympathetic to my problem because he saw me sloooooooooowly walking down the huge hill to get to our building.

My toes were all smashed into an inverted v-shape and as the night progressed my legs really really hurt.
In fact, they still hurt today. It also wasn't fun to wake up in the middle of the night with a horrible charley-horse in my left leg.

I guess I learned my lesson. When you are training for a marathon, comfort and being smart about your feet/legs is more important than looking good.

By the way...did you know that Cole Haan teamed up with Nike Air to create the most comfortable high heels ever? Form AND function!!! Of course, something as wonderful as that also has a price tag that I am not used to for my shoe. Guess I will just have to wait for them to go on Zappos :)

1 comment:

Judi said...

OWWW, can't do heels. Ever.