Tuesday, February 26, 2008

New Goal?

So, as I was looking back at my long runs, I realized, maybe a 10:13 pace run is NOT that out-of-the-ordinary for me. At least not in this training season.

I have to wonder why this is though.

I mean, I know I have been working hard, but this is quite an improvement from where I started. It makes me excited though, to think that I may want to revise my goal of a 4:45 marathon. At the same time though, I am wondering if I may be jumping the gun.

I HAVE definitely felt faster on my runs. But it is a comfortable fast...I am certainly pushing myself but not so hard that I can't breathe or continue.

Maybe it is my diet. I am eating healthier AND I have lost 7 pounds since January. I have never lost weight during marathon training. In fact, I have gained about 5-7 pounds during training in the past and then lost it when I stopped. I attributed this to muscle gain/loss, but I am actually getting a lot more muscular (AND a lot leaner...when Bill and I were in the gym last week I looked over to the mirror and had to ask him "Uh, what happened to my pot belly?"). So maybe my new, healthier eating plan is making me run faster. Bill says carrying 7 less pounds would do it too, but then I reminded him that I made up for those pounds with my new water bottle belt.

At any rate, I want to see how my 8-mile run tomorrow goes. If it does go well, I think I'm going to look at a new goal. Maybe a 4:30 marathon (a 10:20 pace).

It's just that that number is so insane for me. Last year at the Pig I finished with a 5:16. 45 minutes difference? That's huge!

Whatever I do, I am definitely running with a pace group again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When your body speeds up with no effort I think its time to kick it up a notch. You know how it feels to run 10:13.... you didn't die... now just keep shooting for it. It looks like you're more than ready for the 4:30.

RunSarahRun said...

Hi, Emily! The same thing has happened to me with my speed. I think I might also be revising my goal from a 4:45 to a 4:30. Sounds like your training is going well, but we miss you in the group!

Unknown said...

Hey Sarah!
I miss you guys too!
It actually makes me feel better knowing that you are at a faster pace now...I was actually just thinking of you and the group yesterday and wondering about that, since we were all so close to the same pace in our last marathon. Anyway, good luck on your training!