Thursday, September 6, 2007

Physical Therapy

So, I don't know if I've written about this or not. So, sorry if I am repeating information.

Anyway, about a week and a half ago I went to the orthopaedic doctor to find out what was going on with my knee. Apparantly my left leg is more muscular that my right. Especially in the quads. I don't know how I didn't notice this before, because once it was pointed out to me I was like "whoa! There really is a huge difference!"

What the doctor didn't want to happen was muscular atrophy. He (luckily) also understood the importance of my training and the proximity of my marathon date. So, he put me into physical therapy 2x a week for 3 weeks. The goal is to build up the muscles in my right leg to match those in my left.

It's kind of a pain in the butt, but I do feel like it is helping. It is amazing how weak (at least in comparison to my left leg) my right leg is. The exercises (which include weight bearing lifts, stretching, balancing exercises etc) really do tire me out. But already I am seeing improvement.

Hopefully by the time of the marathon my right quad will be all bulky and manlike like my left quad is, and injury will be in my past!

No comments: