Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Runner's Diet

So I ordered a book from Amazon and had to add another one on to get the free shipping, and I started to look for running books. I ordered The Runner's Diet just for kicks.

Now as you probably realize from reading my blog, I do NOT do diets. But I'm always looking for ways to improve my performance, and I could stand to use some poundage, because in the last year I've gained 15 pounds. ( I KNOW, I KNOW, Mom, Dad, Bill, etc. it is muscle weight. I thought so too, until I took my measurements and realized I gained a solid 2 inches around my waist. So it must be some fat too.)

So I started reading and really, this book was written for me. The first chapter describes those people who were active as kids and ate whatever they wanted and stayed skinny. Then they went to college and stopped or slowed down the activity, but still ate what they wanted and stayed slim. Now that they are out of college they are working out like crazy again, eating whatever they want and gaining a pound here and a pound there. Just enough to not notice it. And furthermore, these people have NO CLUE about good nutrition because they have never had to think about it. That is TOTALLY ME!

Then I continue reading thinking, 'fine, but I am not giving up fast food completely.' But that's the great thing. This whole book is about moderation. It lays out attainable goals and non-attainable goals (for example you shouldn't say 'No more fast food', but you should say 'I'm ordering a child's sized meal). It talks about how every small step you take will make a difference, and that you can eat some unhealthy stuff because you work out. So, one donut is okay, but a box is not. I know this is not rocket science to most people. But seriously, I just want to lose a few pounds, stay healthy, have a little more energy, and not have to run anymore with my beer gut (or the more ladylike "pooch") hanging out. So it was nice to have validation that my small efforts will make a difference.

And I have to look at the improvements I've made in the past year, and realize I am eating a lot healthier:

• I pretty much have cut out soda completely (I do have one about once every 2 mos).
• I eat whole wheat bread whenever I have a choice.
• I don't eat McDonald's twice or more a week (yes, I did this in college).
• I buy reduced fat ice cream.
• I don't run to the kitchen every time an email goes out about free food (only about half of the time).
• I don't go up to the vending machine at 3:00 everyday anymore.
• I gave up fried foods for Lent and survived (ok, now I need to cut them down from my everyday diet).
• I eat breakfast at home after my long runs instead of driving through McDonalds.
• I pack my lunch a lot more
• I eat breakfast every day.

They are drops in the bucket, I know, but hey, I'm doing something. This week and the next I am especially trying to be healthy so that I have enough energy for the 7th!

No comments: