Monday, August 27, 2007

Partying Friday = Yuck

I don't know if I am just getting used to the heat, or if it really wasn't as bad as it usually is...but my run on Saturday was not all that bad heatwise. However, I will NOT party on Friday night before a long run any more.

My friend was celebrating her birthday and I really really tried to party in moderation. I only had two beers at the baseball game we went to. I drank lots of water at the bar afterwards (yeah, the Hofbrauhaus is a LOT less fun if you don't drink). I think it was the greasy food that did me in. For dinner I had a hot dog and an entire basket of waffle fries with nacho cheese. After the first couple, they didn't even taste that great, but that didn't stop me from finishing off the whole basket. Plus, any peanuts I had during the game. And afterwards we ended up staying at the bar until 1:30 instead of the midnight time I had planned.

So four hours of sleep later, I was not feeling so hot.

The first 8 miles were torture. I made sure I hydrated at every single water fountain. My stomach did NOT feel good. Then, I got my second wind and completed the first 10 mile loop with no problem except for being super tired. I didn't really want to do six more miles.

But I sucked it up. I think at this point, I was one of maybe 5 runners who were still running. All the fast people were almost done, some people only did 10, and the turnout was pretty low Saturday anyway, because a lot of people went down to Louisville to watch the Iron Man.

So I had a solo run. It was really really difficult to make myself do the whole six miles, because there was a turnaround along the way for 12 and 14. But I did it. I knew I would be mad at myself if I didn't. And I was not going to let partying on Friday be my excuse.

But I am NOT eating crappy food anymore on Fridays. Or, I guess, not getting home until 2am.

Lesson learned.

No comments: