Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cold Run

I think I must be a "polar bear". I really do love running in the cold once I'm out there. I'm sure it helps that I have all the right gear.

Last night, Bill and I went for another run in Riverside Park. This time we ran downtown. I wasn't really sure how cold it was (turns out it was 26 degrees) so I figured I was ok in a long sleeve technical shirt, some yoga pants and my new Chicago Marathon running jacket. I also had the chance to try out my new Nike gloves and headband. Bill, who doesn't have as much technical gear yet since he is a newbie had a short sleeved tech shirt, pants and a long sleeved t-shirt. He was freezing. I was overheated.

I don't know if this has more to do with the fact that I am ALWAYS hot when I run and he is always cold, or that I was dressed correctly. I think it is probably a little of both.

But seriously, not 10 minutes into the run and I had to strip off my gloves and unzip my jacket. I don't know what is wrong with me. Not being a physician or anything I theorized that it was because I have a really really low body temperature (I have super low blood pressure...does that have anything to do with it? Seriously, it is so low that all of the nurses checking it everytime I go to the doctor look at me with concern and ask "Is your blood pressure always THAT low?") and so when I'm out in the cold I'm more at home. That would also explain why my feet are always cold (or as Bill says 'like ice'). I actually do not think this is true and have no idea why I get so hot when I run.

BUT I did realize that I really really like running in a headband. Not only does it keep hair out of my face, but it keeps my ears warm without overheating my head like a hat does. So, good choice of a present, Mom and Dad! :)

No comments: