Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Wind Is Mean

I don't know what the weather is like in Cincinnati, but here in New York it is CRAZY WINDY. I guess I should have known this when I asked Bill this morning what the temperature was and he said it was '21, but feels like 8'. How do you dress to that?
I decided that I would be okay in my tights, a short sleeve, a long sleeve and a jacket (gloves and headband too of course).

It actually was pretty pleasant. And a 6.2 mile loop around Central Park beats a 5 mile loop around Lunken any day. By the time I actually got down to Columbus Circle I was actually feeling kind of warm and looking forward to the east side of the park where I would be running in the shade.

HA! HA! That's when the wind kicked in. And since Central Park is a big, open space in the middle of the city with no buildings to break the wind it was COLD. Not only that, it was difficult to run. At some places I was actually running but not moving anywhere because the wind was so strong. At other places I had to run sideways. I just kept thinking, 'just a few more blocks and then I get to head west again'.

By the time I got to the top of the park the wind had changed directions so that I was running into it again. It was crazy.

I was very happy to see 81st street again (where I cut across to Riverside Park to end my run). I was tired of being blown all over the sidewalk.

I couldn't feel my legs at the end of my run because they were THAT COLD!

I clocked a 1:39.18 for 9.03 miles which I thought was actually pretty good because I was A) battling the wind B) stopping at almost every cross street by the park (sometimes for up to 45 seconds) and EVERY street going crosstown once I was out of the park...and C)running the most mileage I've run since October. So I was happy.

No comments: